March 29, 2016
MINDFULNESS – what is it and how can it help us?
- Mindfulness is a method of mental training, not a religion, and can be practiced anywhere. We can bring awareness to whatever we are doing, on buses, trains, while walking to work, more or less anywhere. We are aiming to see our world with more clarity, tenderness, curiosity and peace.
- Numerous psychological studies have shown that regular meditators are happier and more contented than average.
- This has huge medical significance because positive emotions are linked to a longer and healthier life.
- Anxiety, depression and irritability all decrease with regular sessions of meditation. Memory also improves, reaction times become faster, and mental and physical stamina increase.
- Regular meditators enjoy better and more fulfilling relationships.
- Studies worldwide have found that meditation reduces the key indicators of chronic stress, including hypertension.
- It is effective in reducing the impact of serious conditions such as chronic pain and cancer, and can even help to relieve drug and alcohol dependence.
- Meditation boosts the immune system and thus helps to fight off colds, flu and other disease.